Joane Garcia-Colson graduated with honors from the University of Denver College of Law in 1990 and is the former Executive Director of the Trial Lawyers College. Joane is a trial lawyer in Palm Springs, California and has represented numerous plaintiffs in both state and federal courts in wrongful termination, sexual harassment and other employment related matters and also represented plaintiffs in personal injury cases, on fraud claims and in real estate disputes and construction defect matters. She also has experience in criminal cases.
In 1998 she obtained a $62 million verdict in Federal Court in the Central District of California, one of the largest verdicts in the history of the State of California in a wrongful termination/breach of oral employment contract case on behalf of a former vice-president of a large hearing aid manufacturer.
In December 2003, Joane, along with Trial Lawyers College Alumni Matthew C. Bishop, obtained one of the first verdicts for Financial Elder Abuse in Napa, California on behalf on an 81 year old
woman arising out of a real estate transaction.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Joane was an actress and has a wealth of training and practical experience in the art of communication. She is also a certified psychodramatist and has years of experience using this method to work with and teach lawyers to be more effective advocates. Joane uses her sklls in communication, psychodrama, and as a trial lawyer to help other trial lawyers to discover and then persuasively communicate their client's story to a jury.
Joane has been published in a variety of legal publications:
- Through The Looking Glass: Head v. Lithonia, Scrutiny of The Underlying Bases of An Expert Opinion, 67 D.U. L.Rev. 587 (1990).
- Trial Lawyers College: Training New Warriors for Battle against the Death Penalty,
Human Rights, Vol 28, Number 3, Summer 2001.
- The “In the Moment” Approach to Voir Dire, The Gavel, Vol 5, Number 4, Fall 2002.
- Training a New Breed of Peoples’ Lawyers, WA State Trial Lawyers Assn, Trial News Vol. 38, No. 7, March 2003.
- Voir Dire as a Sociometric Exploration, The Warrior, Summer 2004.
- Voir Dire: The Right Preparation Allows You To Be “In The Moment” with Jurors,
Plaintiff, October 2007.
- Editor and Publisher of The WARRIOR the Official Journal of the Trial Lawyers
College, June 2000 to Summer Issue 2009 (2002 Winner of Apex Award for Publication
Excellence-Special Issue October 2001).
L. Joane Garcia-Colson
288 Calle La Soledad
Palm Springs, CA 92262
Tel. (760) 831-2442